Getting your child’s eczema under control can have many health benefits. Controlling eczema can:
- Prevent eczema from getting worse: Without treatment, eczema can progress. The more severe the eczema becomes, the harder it is to treat.
- Reduce risk of getting skin infections: Scratching causes tiny breaks in the skin, which allows microorganisms like bacteria to get inside the body.
- Ease your child’s discomfort: Skin can be itchy and painful.
- Allow your child to sleep: Intensely itchy skin can cause your child to wake up often. Sleep is essential for kids. Children who don’t get enough sleep often gain less weight than they should.
- Concentrate during school and while doing homework: Lack of sleep combined with intensely itchy skin can make it difficult for a child to do well in school.
- Feel more confident: Having patches of dry, inflamed, itchy skin can cause a child to feel embarrassed. Some kids develop depression and anxiety.
Additional related content
How do dermatologists control eczema?
How will I know what to do to control my child’s eczema?
Skin care: Does it help treat eczema?