Dermal fillers have been popular for years. People like that these injections can diminish facial lines and plump up sagging skin on their face (and hands). Fillers are also convenient. You can get these injections in a dermatologist’s office, and most fillers have virtually no downtime. Add to this the fact that fillers are safe for all skin colors, and you can see why they’ve become so popular.
This popularity has fueled many advances in dermal fillers. New injection techniques and more FDA-approved fillers are giving patients better results than ever.
What’s better about today’s fillers?
The biggest breakthrough may be that patients are seeing more natural-looking results. Injected properly, you’ll look refreshed. Friends, family, and co-workers, however, aren’t likely to know what you’ve done. The results look that natural.
The breakthroughs go beyond natural-looking results. It’s now possible for fillers to give you:
- Less-noticeable hollow areas under your eyes
- Youthful lips without making your lips bigger
- Younger-looking hands
- An overall more-youthful (and rested) appearance
- Less-painful injections
- Longer-lasting results
New fillers and advances in injection techniques offer us more natural-looking results and other benefits.
Skill and knowledge still key to best results
While a lot has changed with fillers, one thing has not. Getting a filler is still a medical procedure.
Choosing the right doctor to inject your fillers can make a big difference. A board-certified dermatologist who has been trained in the proper use of fillers can help you get the results you want and avoid complications.
Without in-depth knowledge of the skin and training in injecting fillers, side effects are more common. This is especially true when injecting fillers around the eyes.
5 things you can do to get the best results from fillers
You also play a key role in making sure you get the results you want. Here are 5 things that dermatologists recommend to make sure you are happy with the results:
- Find a doctor who knows the skin (such as a board-certified dermatologist) and injects fillers regularly. This is best way to ensure you get optimal results and protect your health.
Need a dermatologist? You can find one by using Find a dermatologist. Be sure to use the "specialty" drop-down menu and select Cosmetic dermatology.
When making an appointment, ask if the dermatologist offers fillers. Some don’t.
- Look for pictures of yourself from a time when you were happy with your appearance. Bring a few of these to your first dermatology appointment. This helps your dermatologist know what you want and recommend treatments that will give you the desired results. Your treatment plan may include fillers plus another treatment like laser therapy or botulinum toxin therapy.
- Ask to see before-and-after photos of patients whom the dermatologist has treated with fillers. You may find these on the dermatologist’s website.
- Tell your dermatologist about all past cosmetic treatments (i.e., fillers, laser treatments) and surgeries you’ve had. This helps prevent possible side effects.
- Give your dermatologist a list of the medicines and supplements you take. Many of these can thin the blood, which increases your risk of bleeding or bruising after getting a filler. You may not need to stop taking a medicine, but it’s important for your dermatologist to know so that adjustments can be made.
Fillers help many people look more youthful. Learning a bit more about fillers can help you decide if this treatment is right for you.