W002 - Hands-on: Nail Surgery
Saturday, July 28; 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Apply a solid foundation of principles to guide nail surgery, from simple to advanced procedures, perioperative considerations, and nail surgery specific instruments.
- Diagnose and treat a variety of nail conditions with surgical techniques including punch biopsy, shave (tangential biopsy), longitudinal biopsy, and a variety of nail plate avulsion techniques.
- Perform advanced nail procedures, including en bloc excision of all nail tissues and nail flaps, for advanced level participants.
This session is geared toward all levels of nail surgeons, from beginner and intermediate to advanced levels. In a small group hands-on setting, participants will be instructed on how to avulse the nail in several fashions (partial and complete), perform multiple different nail procedures (including punch, shave, longitudinal techniques), and for those with more advanced background, treat nail melanoma with en bloc excision of all nail tissues and perform nail flaps. Fresh frozen cadaveric hands that allow for realistic hands-on practice will be utilized. Approaches to patient assessment, including surgical planning, equipment/suture selection, patient safety, and relevant anatomy will be covered.
This activity has been approved by the American Board of Dermatology (ABD) for up to 30 MOC Component 2 Self-Assessment credits. For more information about MOC, please visit the ABD website at www.abderm.org.
- Billingsley, Elizabeth M., MD: Aclaris Therapeutics Inc. – A(Fees); Genentech, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Hedgepath Pharmaceutic HedgePath Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – C(Fees), I(Grants/Research Funding); Regeneron – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Daniel, C. Ralph, MD: Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – C(H); Elsevier Inc. – O(IP); Gerson Lehrman Group – A(H), C(OB); IVREA Pharmaceuticals – C(H); Kikaku – C(H); Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation – C(H); Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – A(SO), C(H), I(H); Mediquest – A(H), C(OB); Meiji Seika Pharma Co., Ltd – A(H); Navigant – C(H); Novobiotics Pharmaceuticals, LLC – C(H); Nycomed Amersham – C(H); Perrigo Company – C(Fees); Polichem SA – C(H); Scisive Consulting LP – C(H); Springer Science & Business Media – O(Fees); Talima Therapeutics – C(H); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – C(H); Visiting Professor – SP(H);
- Knackstedt, Thomas Joachim, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Lam, Charlene, MD, MPH: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Mahmoud, Bassel Hamdy, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Samie, Faramarz H., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Yoo, Simon S., MD: Castle Biosciences – I(NC);
Saturday, July 28
Dr. Knackstedt and Dr. Billingsley / Introduction
Dr. Knackstedt and Dr. Billingsley / Nail Surgery Basic, Avulsions and Matrix Phenolization
Dr. Knackstedt and Dr. Billingsley / Nail Punch Biopsy
Dr. Knackstedt and Dr. Billingsley / Nail Shave Biopsy
Dr. Knackstedt and Dr. Billingsley / Longitudinal Biopsy
Dr. Knackstedt and Dr. Billingsley / Nail Matrix Ablation and En Bloc Excision