F136 - Pharmacy Compounding and the Dermatologist
Monday, February 19; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe the basic tenets of Pharmacy Compounding as it applies to dermatology, including when extemporaneous compounding is a useful
supplement to currently available marketed drugs in the U.S.
- Recognize the need for a safe drug supply in the context of Pharmacy Compounding
- Summarize the role of FDA in regulating Pharmacy Compounding and discuss the history of untoward events related to Pharmacy Compounding
The attendee will learn in brief a history of pharmacy compounding, modern pharmacy compounding, and the events that led up to the current regulatory environment for pharmacy compounding. Focus will be provided on dermatology compounding, what aims are sought to be achieved, what special populations benefit most from compounding.
- Alam, Murad, MD: Allergan, Inc – C(Fees); Bonti – I(Grants/Research Funding); Merz Pharmaceuticals, LLC – I(Grants/Research Funding); Pulse Biosciences – C(Fees); Revance Therapeutics, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Dohm, Julie, PhD, JD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Luke, Markham C., MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Pattanshetti, Natasha: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Siegfried, Elaine C., MD: Allergan, Inc – I(Fees); Amgen – I(OB); Dermavant Sciences – C(Fees); Eli Lilly and Company – I(Fees); GlaxoSmithKline – Data Safety Monitoring Board(Fees); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – I(Fees); Mayne Pharma Group – I(Fees); Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – Data Safety Monitoring Board(Fees); Novan – C(Fees); Pfizer Inc. – A(Fees); Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmétique US – I(Fees); Regeneron – I(Fees); Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC – C(Fees); Verrica Pharmaceuticals Inc – A(Fees);
- Wilkerson, Michael G., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Monday, February 19
Dr. Luke / Introduction
Dr. Dohm / What is Pharmacy Compounding?
Dr. Dohm / FDA's Role In Pharmacy Compounding
Dr. Luke, Dr. Wilkerson, Dr. Siegfried, and Dr. Alam / Panel: Pharmacy Compounding and the Dermatologist
Pattanshetti and Dr. Alam / AAD and Pharmacy Compounding
All faculty / Consensus/Future Direction