F110 - Updates in the Epidemic of Hair Loss in African American Women
Sunday, February 18; 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe the results of a large nationwide cohort of African American women examining the prevalence and risk factors for Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia (CCCA) and Traction Alopecia.
- Discuss data on genetic link in CCCA.
- Analyze the state of the science including the latest treatments and explore future directions in CCCA research.
This session will explore the latest research on the epidemic of hair loss among African American women. It is suspected that the current estimates of prevalence are an underestimate and there have been no randomized controlled treatment trials for the most common form of hair loss in this population. We will describe the results of the only large cohort study of 59,000 African American women in the U.S. exploring the prevalence and risk factors for hair loss in this population and our community based research leading to the earlier detection of hair loss by partnering with hair stylists.
- Barbosa, Victoria Holloway, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Kindred, Chesahna, MD, MBA: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Lenzy, Yolanda M., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Singh, Meena Kuimari, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Tosti, Antonella, MD: Aclaris Therapeutics, Inc. – A(H); Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – A(H); DS Laboratories – C(Fees); Fotofinder – C(EQ); Incyte Corporation – C(H); Kurt Wolff GmbH & Co. KG – A(H); Kythera – A(H); Meiji Seika Pharma Co., Ltd – A(H); MSD – SP(H); Novartis – A(H); PharmaDerm – Speaker/Faculty Education(H); Pierre Fabre Dermatologie – C(H); Polichem SA – A(H); Procter & Gamble Company – A(H); Springer Science & Business Media – O(IP); Taylor & Francis – O(IP); topica – C(Fees); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – C(Fees); Viamet Pharmaceuticals, Inc – A(H);
Sunday, February 18
Dr. Lenzy / Introduction
Dr. Barbosa / Etiology and Epidemiology Of Hair Loss in African American Women
Dr. Kindred / Diagnosis, Workup And Medical Management
Dr. Singh / Hair Restoration in Scarring Alopecia
Dr. Tosti / Trichoscopy of Hair Loss in CCCA, Traction Alopecia, FFA and DLE
Dr. Lenzy / Prevention and Earlier Detection Of Cicatricial Alopecia In African American Women By Partnering With Hair Stylists
All faculty / Q&A