F078 - Translating Evidence into Practice: Primary Cutaneous Melanoma Guidelines
Saturday, February 17; 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Apply current national guidelines for cutaneous melanoma to clinical practice, including biopsy techniques, pathology evaluation, baseline/surveillance studies, and surgical and other management.
- Utilize changes in the AJCC 8th Edition melanoma staging system for pathologic diagnosis, with attention to impact on patient selection for sentinel node biopsy in T1 melanoma.
- Recognize and manage dermatologic side effects of novel immunotherapies and targeted agents for advanced melanoma.
This session will provide an overview of current recommendations for the management of cutaneous melanoma (AJCC stages 0-II), utilizing current AAD and NCCN clinical practice guidelines. Members of the AAD and NCCN melanoma guidelines panels and others will address appropriate biopsy techniques, pathology assessment (including new AJCC staging), baseline/surveillance studies, sentinel lymph node biopsy, surgery, and adjuvant therapy for primary melanoma. Treatment of dermatologic side effects related to newer systemic therapies for advanced melanoma will be covered, along with comparison of international melanoma guidelines, focusing on those employed in Australia and New Zealand.
- Bichakjian, Christopher K., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Durham, Alison Bates, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Grichnik, James M., MD, PhD: Canfield Scientific, Inc. – C(Fees); Clearview Diagnostics – A(H); Digital Derm, Inc – F(ST); Galileo Group – C(ST); Novartis – C(Fees);
- Guitera, Pascale, MD, PhD: Caliber Imaging and Diagnostics Inc. – Speaker/Faculty Education(Grants/Research Funding);
- Kim, Jinah, MD, PhD: Kyowa Hakko Kirin Pharma, Inc. – C(Grants/Research Funding); Myriad Genetics Inc – C(Fees);
- Kwong, Bernice, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Swetter, Susan M., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Saturday, February 17
Dr. Swetter / Introduction
Dr. Kim / Pathology, AJCC Staging
Dr. Durham / Biopsy Techniques and Primary Surgery
Dr. Bichakjian / Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
Dr. Swetter / Workup/Follow-Up
Dr. Grichnik / Alternative Therapies for Lentigo Maligna
Dr. Guitera / Contrast with Australian Guidelines
Dr. Kwong / Dermatologic Toxicities of Melanoma Drugs
All faculty / Panel Discussion