F066 - Dealing with Difficult Patient Encounters
Saturday, February 17; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective and compassionate patient-specific communication.
- Identify when a patient encounter becomes "difficult".
- Develop a plan for management of difficult patient encounters.
Challenging patient encounters are stressful for both dermatologists and patients. Examples include undesirable outcomes, delivery of bad news, adjusting to diverse patient populations, managing patient expectations and treating psychocutaneous disease. In these instances, communication requires especially delicate care and it helps to have a game plan. How one deals with difficult encounters is not only important for appropriately managing dermatologic conditions and fostering trusting patient-physician relationships, but can be essential for ethical and medicolegal considerations. This session will use various sample cases to provide tools to best approach and manage these seemingly difficult situations.
- Baldwin, Hilary E., MD: Allergan, Inc. – A(H); Bayer – SP(NC); Dermira – I(Grants/Research Funding); Galderma Laboratories, L.P. – SP(H); Novan – I(Grants/Research Funding); Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. – SP(H); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – SP(H);
- Coley, Marcelyn K., MD: Catalent Pharma Solutions – E(S);
- Jakus, Jeannette Rachel, MD: Celgene – A(H); Galderma Research & Development, LLC – C(H); GLG Life Tech Corp – C(H);
- Koo, John Y. M., MD: AbbVie – SP(H); Celgene Corporation – SP(H); Eli Lilly and Company – C(Fees); Leo Pharma Inc. – SP(H); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – SP(H); Pfizer Inc. – C(Fees);
- Sturgeon, Ashley, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Saturday, February 17
Dr. Coley and Dr. Jakus / Introduction
Dr. Coley / The Patient and Communication
Dr. Jakus / Dealing With Kids And Adolescents
Dr. Sturgeon / Dealing with Expectations
Dr. Koo / Dealing With Pyschocutaneous Disease
Dr. Baldwin / Dealing with Medicolegal Consequences
All faculty / Panel - Floor Discussion