F064 - Managing Melanoma
Saturday, February 17; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Summarize the role of a dermatologist in the management of melanoma beginning with identifying individuals at elevated risk for developing melanoma, through preliminarily informing them of potential therapy for metastatic melanoma
- Formulate a rational therapeutic approach for the initial management of a newly identified melanoma based on its clinical and pathological presentation
- Describe the uses and limitations of molecular studies (e.g. GEP) and surgical procedures (e.g. SLNBx) in the development of prognostic information for your patients with invasive melanoma
The management of melanoma can be a complicated endeavor for both the patient and the physician. Dermatologists are often involved in the diagnosis of melanoma and are arguably best suited for coordinating early management and long term follow up of the vast majority of cases. Preparation for this responsibility begins with identifying "at risk" individuals and continues with an intimate understanding of the modes of excision available for primary tumor eradication. Further, understanding the uses and limitations of additional tests, procedures and therapies for patients with invasive melanoma is key to providing the highest quality of care.
- Brodland, David G., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Chu, Emily Y., MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Gerami, Pedram, MD: Castle Biosciences, Inc – C(H); DermTech International – C(H); Myriad Genetics Inc – C(H);
- Kunishige, Joy H., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Leachman, Sancy A., MD, PhD: Castle Biosciences, Inc – I(NC); DermDetect – A(NC); Merck & Co., Inc – A(NC); Myriad Genetics Inc – I(NC); OrLucent, Inc. – A(H); Palvella Therapeutics – A(NC); Skin Cancer Free – B(NC); Veriskin – A(NC);
- Miller, Christopher James, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Zitelli, John A., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Saturday, February 17
Dr. Brodland / Introduction
Dr. Chu / Update on Therapy for Metastatic Melanoma
Dr. Leachman / Identifying, Counseling and Managing Patients at High Risk for Melanoma
Dr. Kunishige / Excision Margins for Melanoma: Overview and Implications
Dr. Miller / Challenges in Surgery of Cutaneous Melanoma: Indications for margin control prior to reconstruction
Dr. Gerami / Genetic Expression Profiles and Other Prognostic Tests For Melanoma: Insights Into Current And Future Clinical Applications
Dr. Zitelli / Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy: Current Evidence for its Role in Managing Melanoma
Dr. Brodland / Guidelines for the Follow-up of Melanoma
All faculty / Q & A