F058 - Psychocutaneous Disease: Treating the Difficult Patient
Saturday, February 17; 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe common psychocutaneous diseases and recognize the associated psychiatric/psychosocial comorbidities
- Discuss how to establish a working alliance with the patient who has psychocutaneous disease and most effectively involve the psychiatrist in management
- Develop appropriate management plans, including effective drugs and psychotherapies, for the difficult patient with psychocutaneous disease
Common psychocutaneous diseases include delusional infestation, dermatitis artefacta, body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), and skin picking disorder (SPD). Affected patients routinely refuse psychiatric referral, and therefore, the burden of care often falls exclusively upon the dermatologist. The session will focus on the management of such conditions in the difficult patient. Optimal management includes both pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy. Speakers will cover categorization of psychodermatological disorders, SPD, management of BDD (including when not to treat), psychogenic itch, delusional infestation, and lessons from the Psychodermatology Clinic. Complex cases will be presented in an interactive way.
- Fried, Richard G., MD, PhD: Allergan, Inc. – SP(H); Centocor Ortho Biotech Inc. – SP(H); Eli Lilly and Company – I(Fees); Galderma Laboratories, L.P. – SP(H); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – I(Fees); Johnson and Johnson Consumer Products Company – A(H); Merz Aesthetics – I(EQ); Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC – Speaker/Faculty Education(H);
- Koo, John Y. M., MD: AbbVie – SP(H); Celgene Corporation – SP(H); Eli Lilly and Company – C(Fees); Leo Pharma Inc. – SP(H); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – SP(H); Pfizer Inc. – C(Fees);
- Kroumpouzos, George, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Magid, Michelle, MD: C(Fees); Ipsen – SP(H);
- Reichenberg, Jason S., MD: Allergan, Inc – A(H);
Saturday, February 17
Dr. Kroumpouzos / Introduction
Dr. Koo / Categorizing psychodermatological disorders: Separating "apples" from "oranges"
Dr. Fried / Skin picking disorder
Dr. Kroumpouzos / Body dysmorphic disorder in the cosmetic practice
/ Q&A for Drs. Koo, Fried, and Kroumpouzos
Dr. Reichenberg / Lessons from the Psychodermatology Clinic
Dr. Magid / Treating the difficult patient
/ Q&A for Drs. Reichenberg and Magid