F048 - Beyond the Tzanck: Bedside Diagnostics for Dermatologists
Saturday, February 17; 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe appropriate bedside diagnostic tests for the dermatologist
- Diagnose dermatologic conditions using bedside diagnostics
- Select the appropriate bedside test and diagnosis in case-based examples
The use of simple and rapid bedside diagnostic tests by dermatologists can yield quick diagnoses and reduce healthcare costs, improving patient care. These techniques are immensely valuable in resource-limited settings, on the inpatient wards, and in the dermatology office. This session is designed for dermatologists and dermatology residents working in multiple settings to increase the repertoire of bedside diagnostic tests for diagnosis of infectious (including bacterial, viral, fungal, and parasitic) and non-infectious diseases. Appropriate technique will be demonstrated, and images will be provided to help guide learners. Audience response will be in this case-based presentation.
This activity has been approved by the American Board of Dermatology (ABD) for up to 20 MOC Component 2 Self-Assessment points. For more information about MOC, please visit the ABD website at www.abderm.org.
- Dominguez, Arturo R, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Micheletti, Robert, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Wanat, Karolyn, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Saturday, February 17
Dr. Dominguez / Brief introduction to session, importance, and structure
Dr. Wanat / Tzanck introduction and select virus cases
Dr. Dominguez / Gram stain, slit smear, and select bacterial cases
Dr. Wanat / KOH/Chlorazol and select fungal cases
Dr. Micheletti / More fungal cases and mineral oil, skin snip and parasites
Dr. Micheletti / Logistics, Other cases, Conclusion, Questions, Wrap-up