F036 - Controversies in Vitamin D
Friday, February 16; 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Counsel patients on vitamin D recommendations, including supplementation and photoprotection.
- Discuss vitamin D's role in skin health including immunity and carcinogenesis.
- Examine adverse effects profile of vitamin D supplementation.
Vitamin D remains a hot topic, with possible health benefits continuing to emerge. Controversy has swirled over the conflicting evidence of disease protective relationships and the impact of photoprotection on sufficient vitamin D levels. This forum will discuss controversies in vitamin D, including a discussion of the evidence surrounding benefits, risks, and current recommendations for maintaining sufficient vitamin D. This will include a discussion of the relationship of vitamin D with immunity, skin cancer, hair, and the Institute of Medicine supplement recommendations.
- Asgari, Maryam Mandana, MD: Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Valeant Pharmaceuticals International – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Epstein, Ervin H., Jr., MD: Genentech, Inc. – C(H); PellePharm, Inc. – F(ST);
- Grant, William, PhD: Bio-Tech Pharmacal – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Hata, Tissa R., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Lu, Kurt, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Weinstock, Martin A., MD, PhD: AbbVie – C(Fees); Celgene Corporation – C(Fees);
Friday, February 16
Dr. Asgari / Overview of vitamin D
Dr. Lu / Vitamin D and sunburns
Dr. Hata / Vitamin D and atopic dermatitis
Dr. Epstein / Vitamin D and breast cancer
Grant / Vitamin D and Health
Dr. Weinstock / Adverse impacts of vitamin D
All faculty / Point-Counterpoint/ Q&A