F020 - Approaching Severe Inflammatory Skin Disease in Children
Friday, February 16; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Identify the psychosocial implications of severe skin disease on patients and families.
- Discuss the innovations in new drug development for children with severe atopic dermatitis.
- Recognize the impact of paradigm shifting new drugs in pediatric dermatology.
Care of children with skin disease often includes addressing family distress that can interfere with parent-provider communication. An experienced clinician will offer perspective about personal medical challenges to provide lessons in empathy.
Protecting children from perceived risks excluded them from participating in clinical trials of groundbreaking drugs until a shift in policy helped recognize the importance of including them. Efforts to ensure safe and effective new pediatric treatments will be summarized, with recommendations for off-label treatment pending better data.
Experienced clinicians will provide their perspectives on the impact of new drugs, including initial promise, long-term efficacy and unforeseen complications.
- Antaya, Richard J., MD: Astellas Pharma US, Inc – I(S); Ferndale Laboratories, Inc. – C(Fees); Hoffman-La Roche Ltd. – C(Fees); LAM Pharma – I(Fees); Pfizer Inc. – A(H); Promius Pharma, LLC – A(H);
- Friedlander, Sheila Fallon, MD: Menlo Therapeutics – A(H); Pfizer Inc. – A(H);
- Lucky, Anne W., MD: Castle Creek Pharmaceuticals – I(NC); Fibrocell Science – C(Fees); ProQR – C(H);
- Siegfried, Elaine C., MD: Allergan, Inc – I(Fees); Amgen – I(OB); Dermavant Sciences – C(Fees); Eli Lilly and Company – I(Fees); GlaxoSmithKline – Data Safety Monitoring Board(Fees); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – I(Fees); Mayne Pharma Group – I(Fees); Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – Data Safety Monitoring Board(Fees); Novan – C(Fees); Pfizer Inc. – A(Fees); Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmétique US – I(Fees); Regeneron – I(Fees); Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC – C(Fees); Verrica Pharmaceuticals Inc – A(Fees);
Friday, February 16
Dr. Siegfried / Introduction
Dr. Antaya / Lessons from the Other Side of the Exam Table
Dr. Siegfried / New Drug Development in Children
Dr. Siegfried / A Perspective on the Impact of Groundbreaking Drugs
Dr. Lucky / A Perspective on the Impact of Groundbreaking Drugs-Isotretinoin for Acne
Dr. Friedlander / A Perspective on the Impact of Groundbreaking Drugs-Propranolol for Hemangioma of Infancy
Dr. Siegfried / A Perspective on the Impact of Groundbreaking Drugs-TCIs and Dupilumab for Eczema
All faculty / Q and A