F016 - Boards and Beyond
Friday, February 16; 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe the structure, format, and process for the American Board of Dermatology examination from the perspective of ABD administrators as well as dermatologists who recently took the examination.
- Recognize the challenges of launching a career in dermatology as seen through community practice, academics, and alternative career paths.
- Describe steps taken by new graduates to begin Maintenance of Certification requirements, involvement with local/national professional societies, and leadership opportunities after residency.
After spending many years in training, residents find themselves with major hurdles to pass as they become successful dermatologists. These include taking the boards, deciding on a career path, starting Maintenance of Certification and becoming active members of the dermatology community. This session will provide information about the structure, format, and process of taking the American Board of Dermatology examination. We will discuss and define the many opportunities available to young dermatologists from academic dermatology to private practice to industry and more unconventional paths. We will also give advice on how to become active participants within the field of dermatology.
- Horn, Thomas D., MD: American Board of Dermatology – B(S); Squarex – B(S); Type IV Technologies – F(ST);
- Kamangar, Faranak, MD: Doximity Inc. – C(NC);
- Kentosh, Joshua B, DO: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Miletta, Nathanial R, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Schlosser, Bethanee Jean, MD, PhD: Allergan, Inc – A(H), SP(H); Decision Support in Medicine, LLC – O(H); UpToDate, Inc – O(H);
- Sober, Arthur Joel, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Friday, February 16
Dr. Miletta and Dr. Kamangar / Introduction
Dr. Horn / The Board Exam - Breakdown And Logistics
Dr. Sober / What Is MOC? Requirements For The First Year And Beyond
Dr. Schlosser / Staying Involved After Residency: Leadership, Volunteerism And Continuing Self Education
Dr. Schlosser / Q&A
Dr. Kentosh / Dermatology Career Options - Academic and Community Practice
Dr. Kentosh / Q&A
Dr. Miletta and Dr. Kamangar / Tips For Organizing And Studying For The Boards
Dr. Miletta and Dr. Kamangar / Q&A