U070 - Anatomy of Diagnostic Errors
Sunday, February 18; 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- 1. Summarize the classification of diagnostic errors
- 2. Recognize the types of diagnostic errors that occur in the various settings of a patient encounter
- 3. Evaluate the recommended strategies to prevent diagnostic errors
Although diagnostic errors account for approximately only 20% of the medical errors, they make up the majority of the malpractice claims, accounting for the largest proportion of the total payouts. The session explores the various facets of medical errors that include classification of errors, situations in which errors are more prone to occur, and faulty cognitive processes that lead to errors accompanied by illustrative examples. The session, essentially, provides root cause analysis of diagnostic errors as well as critical assessment of recommended strategies to minimize them.
- Hsu, Sylvia, MD: AbbVie – A(H); Amgen – A(H); Centocor Ortho Biotech Inc. – I(Fees); Dr. Reddy – A(H); Eli Lilly and Company – A(H); Genentech, Inc. – A(H); Janssen-Ortho Inc. – A(H); Novartis – A(H); Promius Pharma, LLC – A(H); Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited – A(H); Sanofi/Regeneron – A(H); Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC – A(H);
- Lee, Jason Bok, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.