U020 - Sex, Sores, Science, and Surveillance: Syphilis in the 21st Century
Friday, February 16; 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe recent epidemiologic trends in syphilis
- Evaluate patients for syphilis complications
- Diagnose and treat syphilis at all stages
Syphilis is on the rise again in the United States, and dermatologists are often on the front lines. Diagnosing and treating syphilis can be confusing and has many potential pitfalls. In this session we will review national and global epidemiologic trends, typical and unusual clinical presentations, complications such as ocular and neurosyphilis, diagnostic tests and treatment.
This activity has been approved by the American Board of Dermatology (ABD) for up to 10 MOC Component 2 Self-Assessment points. For more information about MOC, please visit the ABD website at www.abderm.org.
- Amerson, Erin H., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Cruz, Adriana, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Katz, Kenneth A., MD, MSc, MSCE: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Friday, February 16
Dr. Katz / Syphilis in the U.S.
Dr. Cruz / Global trends in syphilis
Dr. Amerson / The great imitator: unusual clinical presentations