U001 - Pregnancy Dermatoses: Moving Towards a Better Understanding
Friday, February 16; 7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize and differentiate the common and specific pregnancy dermatoses.
- Identify safe and effective treatments for both mother and fetus.
- Discuss the effect of pregnancy on other skin diseases.
This session aims to provide clinical clues, diagnostic methods, and adequate treatment options for skin disease in pregnancy. Particular attention will be paid to the classification of the specific dermatoses of pregnancy (which has historically caused much confusion). A simplified classification and algorithm will be presented. Pemphigoid gestationis, polymorphic eruption, atopic eruption and intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy will be described in detail, and related fetal risks will be addressed. The effect of pregnancy on other common inflammatory skin diseases such as psoriasis, acne, urticaria as well as some rarer auto-immune disorders (pemphigus, lupus erythematosus) will be discussed. Management advice will be focused on special considerations for these inflammatory dermatoses and skin infections which can arise during pregnancy.
- Muellegger, Robert, MD: AbbVie – A(H); Bayer – SP(H); Celgene Corporation – A(H); Eli Lilly and Company – A(H); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – A(H); Menarini Group – SP(H); Novartis – A(H);
- Vaughan-Jones, Samantha A., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Friday, February 16
Dr. Vaughan-Jones / Pregnancy Dermatoses and Cases from Pregnancy Skin Clinic
Dr. Muellegger / Inflammatory Dermatoses and Infections in Pregnancy