S038 - Hidradenitis Suppurativa/Acne Inversa (HS/AI): Current Medical and Surgical Management
Sunday, February 18; 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize the physical lesions that constitute hidradenitis suppurativa / acne inversa, their characteristic distribution, and their tendency to recur over time.
- Select appropriate preventive, medical and surgical therapies for patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.
This session will begin with a review of the epidemiology and comorbidities of HS, diagnosis of HS and phenotypes, and current concepts of HS pathogenesis. A general approach to medical treatment will be discussed, including topical, intralesional, and oral treatments, as well as biologics. Surgical procedures for HS will be presented by a dermatologic surgeon, as well as when to refer to a surgeon. The importance of a multi-specialty approach, lifestyle modifications, and support groups will be discussed. The development of the North American guidelines for treatment will also be presented. There will be a Q&A session with the faculty.
- Alavi, Afsaneh, MD: AbbVie – A(H), I(Grants/Research Funding), Speaker/Faculty Education(Grants/Research Funding); Actelion – A(Fees); Boehringer Ingelheim – I(Fees); Canadian Dermatology Association – B(NC); Celgene – SP(Fees); Galderma Canada, Inc – A(H); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – A(H); LEO Laboratories Ltd (LEO Pharma) – SP(Fees); Regeneron – I(Grants/Research Funding); Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC – A(H); XOMA (US) LLC – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Brassard, Alain, MD: AbbVie – A(H); Janssen-Ortho Inc. – A(H), SP(H);
- Garg, Amit, MD: AbbVie – A(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Merck & Co., Inc – O(Grants/Research Funding); National Psoriasis Foundation – I(Grants/Research Funding); Pfizer Inc. – A(H);
- Jemec, Gregor B.E., MD: AbbVie – A(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Astion Pharma – C(H); Desitin Arzneimittel GmbH – Speaker/Faculty Education(NC); InflaRx GmbH – C(H); Janssen-Ortho Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); LEO Pharma, US – I(Grants/Research Funding); Michelson Diagnostics Ltd. – I(NC); Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Kimball, Alexandra Boer, MD, MPH: AbbVie – C(H), I(Grants/Research Funding); Celtaxsys Inc – C(H); Dermira – C(H); Janssen Biotech – C(H); Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc – I(Residency/Fellowship Program Funding); Lilly ICOS LLC – C(H); Merck & Co., Inc – C(H); New Enterprise Associates – C(H); Novartis – C(H); Procter & Gamble Company – C(H); Purdue Pharma – C(H); Regeneron – C(H); Sanofi/Regeneron – C(H); UCB – C(H);
- Lowes, Michelle Anne, MBBS, PhD: Incyte Corporation – C(Fees);
- Parks Miller, Angela: AbbVie – A(H), C(Fees);
- Resnik, Barry I., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Sayed, Christopher John, MD: AbbVie – A(Fees), I(Fees), SP(Fees); GlaxoSmithKline – I(Fees); Novartis – I(Fees); Tioga Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – I(Fees);
Sunday, February 18
Dr. Lowes / Introduction
Dr. Garg / Epidemiology & comorbidities of hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Brassard / Diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa & phenotypes
Dr. Lowes / Pathogenesis of hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Jemec / Microbiome in hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Lowes, Dr. Garg, Dr. Brassard, and Dr. Jemec / Q&A session
Parks-Miller / Lifestyle modifications & support groups for hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Kimball / Medical treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Resnik / Surgical treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Alavi / Wound healing in hidradenitis suppurativa
Dr. Sayed / Development of North American hidradenitis suppurativa treatment guidelines
Dr. Kimball, Dr. Resnik, Dr. Alavi, and Dr. Sayed / Q&A session