C010 - Structure and Function of the Skin: Pigment, Appendages, Damage & Repair
Saturday, February 17; 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Distinguish the various skin appendages and describe their functions.
- Recognize photodermatoses, their underling photobiology, and the contribution of melanocytes, DNA repair and wound healing to skin function.
- Describe the diseases resulting from the failure of these skin components.
This course has been planned in collaboration with and is directed by the Society for Investigative Dermatology. One module of a three-part curriculum discussing the normal structure and function of cells and tissues within the skin, and how their impairment leads to representative diseases. This module will focus on pigmentation, skin appendages, skin damage and repair. Examples will be shown of how skin biology is being translated into patient care. The curriculum is a basic overview of skin biology for residents and dermatologists. Bring a print or electronic copy of the handouts to facilitate following the lectures.
- Cho, Raymond J., MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Cotsarelis, George, MD: Allergan, Inc – I(Grants/Research Funding); Cassiopea S.p.A. – C(Fees); Eli Lilly and Company – C(Fees); Follica – A(H), F(SO);
- Gallo, Richard L., MD, PhD: Allergan, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Colgate-Palmolive – I(Grants/Research Funding); Hoffman-La Roche Ltd. – C(H); Johnson and Johnson – A(H); MatriSys Bioscience – F(SO); Sente Labs – C(Fees);
- Glass, Donald A. II, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Seykora, John T., MD, PhD: PIQUR Therapeutics – I(Grants/Research Funding); Rohto Pharmaceutical – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Woodley, David T., MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Saturday, February 17
Dr. Seykora / Introduction
Dr. Seykora / Adnexal Structures and Diseases
Dr. Cotsarelis / Hair Follicle Biology and Diseases
Dr. Woodley / Wound Healing
Dr. Cho / Cutaneous Photobiology and Skin Cancer
Dr. Glass / Ethnic Differences in Pigmentation, Appendages, Damage and Repair across Diverse Skin Types
All faculty / Q&A