C007 - Structure and Function of the Skin: Cancer, Immunity and Inflammation
Friday, February 16; 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Identify key immunological pathways in common skin diseases or infections that can be targeted by pharmaceutical or biologic agents
- Outline how the immune system interacts with cancer to both stimulate and prevent tumorgenesis
- List 3 conditions that result in a genetic predisposition to cancer of the skin and other sites
This course has been planned in collaboration with and is directed by the Society for Investigative Dermatology. Our understanding of how the immune system influences the development of common skin conditions has greatly increased in the last decade, resulting in drugs that help to effectively treat the affected patients. This course will highlight facets of the innate and adaptive immune system in processes such as processes such as skin cancer, psoriasis, wound healing, and bacterial skin infections. Furthermore, this course will highlight several genetic causes (e.g., xeroderma pigmentosum) of hereditary predisposition to skin cancer.
- Arron, Sarah T., MD, PhD: Amyris, Inc. – C(Fees); DUSA Pharmaceuticals – I(S); Eli Lilly and Company – I(S); Genentech, Inc. – E(S), I(S); Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. – I(S); LEO Pharma, US – I(S); Menlo Therapeutics – I(S); Pfizer Inc. – I(S); Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. – I(S); Zebra Medical Technologies – C(Fees);
- Gudjonsson, Johann E., MD: AbbVie – I(Grants/Research Funding); Genentech, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); miRagen Therapeutics, Inc. – C(H); Novartis – A(H); Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Hwang, Sam, MD, PhD: AbbVie – C(H); Journal Dermatologic Science – O(H); Journal of Investigative Dermatology – A(H);
- Kraemer, Kenneth Howard, MD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Lee, Delphine J., MD, PhD: Biogen – SH(NC);
- Miller, Lloyd S., MD, PhD: Chan Soon-Shiong Institute for Advanced Health – C(Fees), I(Grants/Research Funding); Medimmune – I(Grants/Research Funding); Moderna Therapeutics – I(Grants/Research Funding); Noveome Biotherapeutics – SH(ST); Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Regeneron – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Tartar, Danielle, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
Friday, February 16
Dr. Miller / Innate immunity and protection against skin pathogens
Dr. Gudjonsson / Adaptive immunity in psoriasis
Dr. Tartar / Immunology of wound healing
Dr. Miller, Dr. Tartar, and Dr. Gudjonsson / Q&A for session 1
Dr. Lee / Immunology of melanoma
Dr. Arron / Non-melanoma skin cancer
Dr. Lee and Dr. Arron / Q&A for session 2
Dr. Kraemer / DNA repair and Cancer
Dr. Kraemer / Q&A session 3