C002 - Structure and Function of the Skin: Development, Cell Biology, and Skin Structure
Friday, February 16; 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe the embryologic origin, patterning and differentiation of the cells that contribute to the functions of the skin.
- Examine the cell biology of the epidermis and dermis to better understand the function of its individual components
- Define the dermatologic diseases that occur as a consequence of genetic or immunologic dysfunction of cell adhesion and extracellular matrix components.
This course has been planned in collaboration with and is directed by the Society for Investigative Dermatology. This session will discuss the development and normal functions of the skin with an emphasis on describing the specific cell components involved in the pathophysiology of skin diseases. Focus will be on skin embryology, differentiation and patterning, broad functions of keratinocytes; cells residing in the dermis; epidermal cell-cell and cell-matrix adhesion structures; and the extracellular matrix. Examples will be shown of how knowledge of skin biology is essential for interpreting clinical presentations and design of appropriate patient care. The curriculum is a basic overview of skin biology for residents and dermatologists.
- Bernard, Jamie: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Christiano, Angela, PhD: Aclaris Therapeutics Inc. – C(Fees); Dermira – C(H); Pfizer Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding);
- Di Nardo, Anna, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Gallo, Richard L., MD, PhD: Allergan, Inc. – I(Grants/Research Funding); Colgate-Palmolive – I(Grants/Research Funding); Hoffman-La Roche Ltd. – C(H); Johnson and Johnson – A(H); MatriSys Bioscience – F(SO); Sente Labs – C(Fees);
- Sun, Bryan, MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Uitto, Jouni J., MD, PhD: no financial relationships exist with commercial interests.
- Yancey, Kim B., MD: Ashland, Inc. – C(H); Genentech, Inc. – C(H); UpToDate, Inc – O(H);
Friday, February 16
Dr. Gallo / Introduction
Dr. Sun / Skin embryology and development
Bernard / Functions of skin epithelial cells
Dr. Di Nardo / Functions of cells in the dermis
Dr. Uitto / Extracellular matrix and associated diseases
Dr. Yancey / Immunobullous diseases of skin structure