Return to program book search
Oral Manifestations of Systemic Disease
Monday, March 24
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Nasim Fazel, MD, DDS, FAAD
- Ginat W. Mirowski, MD, DMD, FAAD
- Bethanee Jean Schlosser, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Rochelle R. Torgerson, MD, PhD, FAAD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize the oral signs and salient features of important hematologic, nutritional, autoimmune, and connective tissue diseases including paraneoplastic conditions.
- Apply a systematic approach to the evaluation, diagnosis and work-up of the aforementioned conditions and formulate an overall treatment plan using a multi-disciplinary approach.
The prompt detection of oral signs and symptoms associated with underlying systemic disease can be invaluable to the clinician in reaching a diagnosis. In this forum, we will discuss the oral manifestations of a broad array of systemic illnesses including nutritional, hematologic, autoimmune and connective tissue diseases. This will include an overview of associated key signs and salient features to look for on oral mucosal examination and relevant questions in the patient history. This session will also provide a structured approach to the therapy and management of associated oral findings such as xerostomia and chronic oral ulcers seen in the setting of systemic illness.
|Monday, March 24|
|1:00 PM||Introduction / Dr. Fazel|
|1:10 PM||Hematologic Disorders / Dr. Mirowski|
|1:30 PM||Autoimmune and Connective Tissue Diseases / Dr. Fazel|
|2:00 PM||Oral Signs of Paraneoplastic Disease / Dr. Torgerson|
|2:20 PM||Nutritional Disorders: What the mouth tells us / Dr. Schlosser|
|2:40 PM||Questions & Answers / All faculty|