Return to program book search
The Future of Dermatology: What Changes are Coming and How Can We Prepare?
Friday, March 21
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Jack S. Resneck, Jr., MD, FAAD
- Brett M. Coldiron, MD, FAAD
- Jane Margaret Grant-Kels, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Carrie L. Kovarik, MD, FAAD
- Marta Jane Van Beek, MD, MPH, FAAD - Handout
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Analyze the impact on dermatology practices of impending health system delivery and payment reforms
- Prepare your practice to adjust to a rapidly changing landscape with evolving ACO's, payment changes, increasing scrutiny of our specialty, and office lab restrictions.
Our specialty faces unprecedented challenges. Evolving delivery systems (ACO's) will compel us to demonstrate our value and work more closely with others. Rising costs will force us to identify where resources are wasted to avoid across-the-board cuts and protect those services and treatments that improve health. The rules governing dermatopathology laboratories are under scrutiny, as are current payment levels for many procedures. Disruptive innovations such as teledermatology smartphone apps will challenge existing care models. This session will describe several of these changes, what our Academy is doing about them, and how you can prepare.