Return to program book search
Practical Approaches to Melanoma and Dysplastic Nevi
Tuesday, March 25
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Michael E. Ming, MD, FAAD
- James M. Grichnik, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Allan C. Halpern, MD, FAAD
- Sancy A. Leachman, MD, PhD, FAAD - Handout
- Henry W. Lim, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Beth S. Ruben, MD, FAAD
- Kara N. Shah, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Susan M. Swetter, MD, FAAD - Handout
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Formulate approaches for clinical scenarios involving patients with melanoma or pigmented lesions.
- Describe the role of genetic testing and sentinel lymph node mapping in melanoma.
- Describe the newer treatments for metastatic melanoma, including vemurafenib, ipilimumab, dabrafenib and trametinib.
Many of the important issues regarding the appropriate management of patients with dysplastic nevi or a history of melanoma are complex, such as who should be considered for genetic testing or vitamin D supplementation, how to manage melanonychia, or what are special considerations regarding melanoma in children and adolescents, yet these issues arise in daily practice. The emphasis of the session is on practical information that will help dermatologists refine their management of patients with melanocytic lesions.
- Immunomodulatory therapy for melanoma: ipilimumab and beyond. Clin Dermatol 2013 Mar-Apr;31(2):191-9.
- Diverse cutaneous side effects associated with BRAF inhibitor therapy: a clinicopathologic study. J Am Acad Dermatol 2012 Dec;67(6):1265-72.
- Pigmented lesions of the nail unit: clinical and histopathologic features. Semin Cutan Med Surg 2010 Sep;29(3):148-58.
|Tuesday, March 25|
|9:00 AM||Managing Melanonychia / Dr. Ruben|
|9:20 AM||Guidelines for Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Thin and Thick Melanomas / Dr. Swetter|
|9:40 AM||Genetics of Melanoma and the Role of Genetic Testing / Dr. Leachman|
|10:00 AM||Melanoma Detection in the Informatics Era / Dr. Halpern|
|10:20 AM||Q & A / Dr. Ruben, Dr. Halpern, Dr. Leachman, and Dr. Swetter|
|10:30 AM||Melanoma in Children and Adolescents: What You Need to Know / Dr. Shah|
|10:50 AM||Vitamin D Recommendations for Patients with Melanoma / Dr. Lim|
|11:10 AM||New Treatments for Metastatic Melanoma / Dr. Ming|
|11:30 AM||Should Dysplastic Nevi Be Re-excised? / Dr. Grichnik|
|11:50 AM||Q & A / Dr. Ming, Dr. Shah, Dr. Grichnik, and Dr. Lim|