Return to program book search
Genetics and Genetic Testing: Beyond Mendel
Monday, March 04
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Sharon A. Glick, MD, FAAD
- Keith Choate, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Daniela Kroshinsky, MD, MPH, FAAD
- Sancy A. Leachman, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Anne W. Lucky, MD, FAAD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Discuss the recent scientific advances in the genetic testing of melanoma, epidermolysis bullosa, and other genodermatoses.
- Develop strategies to implement new genetic testing methods such as exome sequencing in the diagnosis of inherited skin disease.
- Recognize new advances in prenatal diagnosis such as preimplantation genetic diagnosis.
This session will provide attendees with updates on genetic testing for skin disease including melanoma, epidermolysis bullosa and the ichthyoses and the latest techniques for prenatal diagnosis. The session will include a presentation on exome sequencing, a powerful new cost-effective method for identifying genes previously unidentifiable using conventional genetic studies. Direct to consumer genetic testing will be presented. Finally, ENCODE, The Encyclopedia of DNA Elements will be discussed.
|Monday, March 04|
|1:00 PM||Introduction / Dr. Glick|
|1:05 PM||Overview of Recent Advances / Dr. Glick|
|1:20 PM||Epidermolysis bullosa and genetic testing / Dr. Lucky|
|1:40 PM||Melanoma and genetic testing / Dr. Leachman|
|1:55 PM||Direct to consumer genetic testing / Dr. Leachman|
|2:00 PM||Q and A / Dr. Glick, Dr. Leachman, and Dr. Lucky|
|2:10 PM||Exome sequencing / Dr. Choate|
|2:30 PM||Prenatal/Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis / Dr. Kroshinsky|
|2:50 PM||Q and A / Dr. Choate and Dr. Kroshinsky|