Return to program book search
Examining in Dermatology Clinic: Beyond the Skin
Friday, March 01
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Amit Garg, MD, FAAD
- Joseph Merola, MD, MSc, FAAD
- Victoria P. Werth, MD, FAAD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize history and physical findings that characterize musculoskeletal and systemic components of psoriatic arthritis, dermatomyositis and systemic lupus.
- Order and interpret serologic markers, diagnostic tests, imaging and functional studies used in the evaluation of patients suspected to have musculoskeletal and systemic disease.
- Formulate therapeutic strategies to manage cutaneous disease in the context of coupled musculoskeletal and systemic involvement.
Patients presenting to the dermatologist with diseases in which skin and systemic involvement may be coupled have an opportunity for timely detection and intervention. Basic musculoskeletal and systemic assessment is an integral part of the workup and co-management in these patients. This forum provides the dermatologist with practical knowledge of the musculoskeletal exam, serologic, image and function based evaluations, as well as therapeutic strategies that facilitate screening, appropriate referral and co-management for patients with cutaneous disease suspected to have psoriatic arthritis, dermatomyositis and systemic lupus.