Return to program book search
Women’s Health Therapeutic Hotline
Monday, March 04
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Jenny Eileen Murase, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Whitney A. High, MD, FAAD
- Miriam Keltz Pomeranz, MD, FAAD
- Vera H. Price, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Kanade Shinkai, MD, PhD, FAAD - Handout
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Describe a new approach to counseling patients on safety of commonly prescribed dermatologic medications in pregnancy, and recognize the medicolegal implications of prescribing medications in pregnancy.
- Review hormonal therapies in dermatology for acne, female androgenetic alopecia, and vulvar disease, focusing on safety concerns.
- Discuss medical management issues for nursing mothers, including the safety of commonly prescribed dermatologic medications and how to diagnose and treat nipple dermatitis.
This new therapeutics symposium highlights issues in women’s health in dermatology. We will review a new approach to drug safety in pregnancy as well as medical malpractice issues. We will also address the appropriate use of hormonal therapy in dermatology: how does one prescribe oral contraceptives safely? Do finasteride and spironolactone improve alopecia? When does one use topical hormonal therapy for vulvar disease? We will also discuss appropriate medical management of mastitis in breastfeeding mothers and medication safety issues in lactation. This is a practical course filled with therapeutic pearls and counseling tips.
- Drugs during pregnancy and lactation: Treatment options and risk assessment. Edited by Christof Schaefer, Paul Peters, Richard K. Miller. 2nd ed 2007. ISBN-13: 978-0-444-52072-2.
- Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk. Gerald Briggs, Roger Freeman, Sumner Yaffe. 8th ed 2008. ISBN-10: 0-7817787-6-X. ISBN-13: 978-0-781-77876-3.
- Medications and Mothers’ Milk. Thomas W. Hale. 12th ed 2006. ISBN-10: 0-9772268-3-2.
|Monday, March 04|
|2:00 PM||Dermatologic medication safety in pregnancy / Dr. Murase|
|2:30 PM||Effect of dermatologic medications on male fertility / Dr. Murase|
|2:40 PM||Q&A / Dr. Murase|
|2:50 PM||Medicolegal implications of prescribing medications in pregnancy / Dr. High|
|3:10 PM||Q&A / Dr. High|
|3:15 PM||Hormonal therapy for acne / Dr. Shinkai|
|3:35 PM||Q&A / Dr. Shinkai|
|3:40 PM||Hormonal therapy for alopecia / Dr. Price|
|4:00 PM||Q&A / |
|4:05 PM||Topical hormonal therapy for vulvar disease / Dr. Pomeranz|
|4:20 PM||Q&A / Dr. Pomeranz|
|4:25 PM||Medical management of mastitis in breastfeeding mothers / Dr. Murase|
|4:50 PM||Dermatologic medication safety in lactation / Dr. Murase|