Return to program book search
Disorders of Pigmentation
Sunday, March 03
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Harvey Lui, MD, FAAD
- Andrew F. Alexis, MD, FAAD
- Ahmed M. Alissa, MD, MBBS
- Jean L. Bolognia, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Iltefat H. Hamzavi, MD, FAAD
- James J. Nordlund, MD, FAAD
- Amit G. Pandya, MD, FAAD - Handout
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Classify and recognize important and common pigmentary disorders in adults and children.
- Describe the latest approaches to managing patients with pigmentary disorders.
- Outline recent advances in pigmentation biology and their potential clinical implications for future therapy.
The skin is the only organ of the body that manifests disorders of pigmentation to any significant extent. Pigmentary disease is commonly seen in dermatologic practice, and has a major direct impact on normal skin function and overall quality of life. The spectrum and various presentations of patients with abnormal skin pigmentation are broad and include hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, and depigmentation. Systematic approaches to classifying and treating pigmentary conditions based on age, pattern, clinical evidence, and experience will be the focus of this symposium. Recent advances in pigmentation biology will also be reviewed as a means of understanding potential future therapies.
- Nordlund JJ, Cestari TF, Chan H, Westerhof W. Confusions about colour: a classification of discolorations of the skin. Br J Dermatol 2006;156 Suppl 13-6.
- Whitton ME, Pinart M, Batchelor J, Lushey C, Leonardi-Bee J, Gonzalez U. Interventions for vitiligo. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2010.
- Sheth VM, Pandya A. Melasma: A comprehensive update, Parts I & II. J Amer Academy Dermatol 2011; 65(4):689-714.
|Sunday, March 03|
|2:00 PM||A Clinical Approach to Pigmentary Disorders / Dr. Bolognia|
|2:25 PM||Q & A / Dr. Bolognia|
|2:30 PM||Common Yet Challenging Hypopigmentation Disorders / Dr. Nordlund|
|2:50 PM||Vitiligo – What Can Be Used, and How Far Can You Go? / Dr. Lui|
|3:10 PM||Q & A / Dr. Lui and Dr. Nordlund|
|3:20 PM||Lasers and Light for Unwanted Pigment / Dr. Alissa|
|3:40 PM||Recent Advances in Pigmentation Biology and Future Treatment Prospects / Dr. Hamzavi|
|4:00 PM||Q & A / Dr. Alissa and Dr. Hamzavi|
|4:10 PM||Postinflammatory Hyperpigmentation / Dr. Alexis|
|4:30 PM||Melasma – Evidence and Experience / Dr. Pandya|
|4:50 PM||Q & A / Dr. Alexis and Dr. Pandya|