Return to program book search
Acne, Hair Loss & Hirsutism Evaluation and Management
Saturday, March 02
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Rachel Victoria Sabbag Reynolds, MD, FAAD
- Whitney Bowe, MD, FAAD
- Raechele Cochran Gathers, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Lynne J. Goldberg, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Anne W. Lucky, MD, FAAD
- Mary Gail Mercurio, MD, FAAD
- Bethanee Jean Schlosser, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Sandy Sharon Tsao, MD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Identify female patients with cutaneous signs of hyperandrogenism.
- Manage hirsutism and use hormonal therapies for acne.
- Diagnose and manage scarring and non-scarring alopecia in women.
This session will cover a spectrum of skin and hair disorders unique to women. Considerable attention will be paid to the effects of androgens on disorders of the pilosebaceous unit. The pathophysiology of acne and hirsutism will be reviewed and placed in the context of diet and polycystic ovary syndrome. Updates on hormonal and non-hormonal therapies for acne and hirsutism will be discussed. Hair loss in women will also be reviewed, ranging from an update in diagnostic strategies to the latest on management with a special focus on hair disorders seen commonly in African American women.
- Female pattern hair loss and its relationship to permanent/cicatricial alopecia: a new perspective. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 2005 Dec;10(3):217-21
- Dermatologic manifestations of polycystic ovary syndrome. Am J Clin Dermatol 2007;8(4):201-19
|Saturday, March 02|
|2:00 PM||Hair Loss and Hair Care Practices in African American Women / Dr. Gathers|
|2:20 PM||Female Pattern Alopecia: Update on Workup and Management / Dr. Mercurio|
|2:40 PM||Update on Scarring Alopecia in Women / Dr. Goldberg|
|3:00 PM||Q & A Panel / Dr. Gathers, Dr. Goldberg, and Dr. Mercurio|
|3:10 PM||Hormones, Acne and Hirsutism: Update on Pathophysiology / Dr. Lucky|
|3:30 PM||Diet and Acne / Dr. Bowe|
|3:50 PM||Understanding Polycystic Ovary Syndrome / Dr. Reynolds|
|4:10 PM||Hormonal Therapies for Acne and Hirsutism / Dr. Schlosser|
|4:30 PM||Non-Hormonal Therapies for Hirsutism / Dr. Tsao|
|4:50 PM||Q & A Panel / Dr. Reynolds, Dr. Lucky, Dr. Schlosser, Dr. Tsao, and Dr. Bowe|