Return to program book search
When Bad Things Happen to Good Doctors
Open admission, no tuition or ticket.
Sunday, March 18
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Mary E. Maloney, MD, FAAD
- Nathaniel J. Jellinek, MD, FAAD
- Elizabeth I. McBurney, MD, FAAD
- Suzanne Olbricht, MD, FAAD
- Margaret E. Parsons, MD, FAAD
- Summer R. Youker, MD, FAAD - Handout
Following this course, the attendee will be able to:
- Recognize situations that qualify as risk for the physician or practice
- Identify skills that will resolve the situation of an angry patient or manage the risks with the least stress and best outcome.
- Delineate risk management strategies (procedures, skills, and/or behaviors) that will prevent or reduce recurrence of these situations.
Many situations arise in medicine that tax our abilities. While we are well trained in medicine, we do not have training in the management of angry or threatening patients, charges of harassment, diversity issues, how to handle missed diagnosis and a litany of other challenging problems. This symposium will address these types of issues. Each presentation will begin with a case study and the faculty for that scenario will discuss the case as well as take this further with a discussion of the core issues related to the case. There will be particular attention to the use of leadership skills in the management of the situation and the employment of risk management strategies.
|Sunday, March 18|
|2:00 PM||Introduction / Dr. Maloney|
|2:05 PM||Was this the spot? Wrong site surgery / Dr. Youker|
|2:25 PM||Questions and discussion / All faculty|
|2:35 PM||Anatomy of a deflected lawsuit / Dr. Maloney|
|2:55 PM||Questions and Discussion / All faculty|
|3:05 PM||Expectations and outcomes: Management of the unhappy patient / Dr. Jellinek|
|3:25 PM||Questions and Discussion / All faculty|
|3:30 PM||Practice methods to build relationships not complaints / Dr. McBurney|
|3:50 PM||Questions and Discussion / All faculty|
|4:00 PM||Harassment in the work place: what it is and how to avoid it / Dr. Parsons|
|4:20 PM||Questions and Discussion / All faculty|
|4:30 PM||Anger, Frustration and the Unbalance Life of a Physician / Dr. Olbricht|
|4:50 PM||Questions and Discussion / All faculty|