What to do about birthmarks

Birthmarks almost never hurt you. For most birthmarks you don't have to do anything. Babies who have vascular birthmarks usually need to see a skin doctor (dermatologist) to find out if it needs to be treated. This is important when a birthmark is in a certain spot like near the eye or near the lip.

A skin doctor also can tell you if there are ways to make a birthmark fade or become lighter. Here are some things the doctor might use or suggest: 

  • Medicine taken by mouth or given in a shot.
  • Special types of lasers that can make birthmarks lighter or smaller.
  • Surgery might be used to get rid of moles.
  • Special makeup sometimes can hide birthmarks that don't go away on their own.
Next: Why bugs bite and sting.