When talking about shingles, dermatologists recommend the following to their patients:
To relieve the pain and itching of shingles, you can:
- Cool the rash with ice packs, cool wet cloths, or cool baths.
- Apply calamine lotion to the blisters.
- Cover the rash with loose, non-stick, sterile bandages.
- Wear loose cotton clothes around the body parts that hurt.
A shingles vaccine is available for people ages 50 years and older. The benefits of getting this vaccine include the following:
- In one study, this vaccine lowered the risk of getting shingles by 50 percent.
- If you develop shingles after getting the vaccine, you are likely to have less pain.
Learn more about shingles: