All of the work undertaken by the American Academy of Dermatology on behalf of its members, their patients and the public are guided by a clear vision and mission and a set of values. These elements are reflected in all the programs, projects and initiatives undertaken under the AAD’s strategic framework.
The Academy’s vision is: “Excellence in Dermatology”
Our mission is: Promoting leadership in dermatology and excellence in patient care through education, research and advocacy.
The Academy seeks to reflect the following values in all its programs and initiatives:
- Patients first: Compassion, caring and listening are at the heart of delivering the highest-quality dermatologic care. We are working to ensure members' ability to facilitate access to dermatologic care and deliver the highest quality of care.
- Professionalism: Adhering to an uncompromising code of clinical and ethical standards among ourselves and with the public. The cornerstones of these standards emphasize honesty, integrity, transparancy and mutual respect.
- Lifelong learning: Pursuing knowledge and continuous improvement, embodying a spirit of intellectual curiosity and interchange through self-assessment and ongoing evaluation.
- Rigorous inquiry and creative work: Pursuing excellence through innovation, creativity, critical evaluation and open dialogue.
- Collaboration: Working together with mutual respect, collegiality and transparency. Collective and coordinated efforts through partnerships and teamwork encourage engagement, inspire ideas, create essential dialogue, and foster synergistic results.
- Social responsibility: A dedication to the greater good. Community leadership, volunteerism and stewardship are hallmarks of our ability to contribute to public health.
- Diversity: Acknowledging, respecting and valuing differences. An inclusive approach to people, ideas and practice styles includes a willingness to listen to all points of view. The result is collectively better because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.