Return to program book search
Volunteers Abroad Course: Advanced
Tuition fee and ticket required for admission
Monday, March 24
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Camille E. Introcaso, MD, FAAD
- Daniel Berg, MD, FAAD
- Casey Anderson Carlos, MD, PhD, FAAD
- Esther Ellen Freeman, MD, PhD
- Carrie L. Kovarik, MD, FAAD - Handout
- Benjamin Stoff, MD, FAAD
Following this course, the attendee should be able to:
- Recognize the dermatologist's role in development of sustainable dermatology services in developing countries
- Discuss the diagnosis and management of diseases commonly seen in developing countries
- Identify key components of providing clinical care including surgical care, working with a limited formulary, teaching, and conducting dermatologic research through international volunteering
This course discusses some issues from the Beginner course in more detail, including how to develop a leadership role as an international volunteer. Using the audience response system, the course stresses working with local populations to address dermatologic needs sustainably, and includes working with a limited formulary and developing surgical clinics, dermatologic curricula, and performing appropriate dermatologic research. Registration includes a networking reception for participants and speakers of both courses immediately following the Beginner’s course on Sunday, March 23, 2014.
3.75 Category 1 CME credits
- Naafs B, Padovese V. Rural dermatology in the tropics. Clin Dermatol 2009;27:252-70.
- Nordlund JJ. Volunteering for humanitarian projects. Clin Dermatol 2009;27:395-400.
- Saxton-Daniels S, Pandya A. Impact of short-term dermatology medical trips in the developing world. J Am Acad Dermatol 2007;56:672-4.
|Monday, March 24|
|9:00 AM||Welcome and Introduction / Dr. Introcaso|
|9:05 AM||Tropical Dermatology Review / Dr. Kovarik|
|9:55 AM||Dermatologic Surgery Abroad / Dr. Berg|
|10:20 AM||Break and Tropical Dermatology Unknown / Dr. Introcaso|
|10:35 AM||Developing Sustainable Dermatology Services Abroad: Patient Care With Available Resources / Dr. Stoff|
|11:05 AM||Developing Sustainable Dermatology Services Abroad: Dermatologic Curriculum / Dr. Carlos|
|11:30 AM||Developing Sustainable Dermatology Services Abroad: Ethical Dermatologic Research as Part of Volunteering / Dr. Freeman|
|11:55 AM||Conclusion / Dr. Introcaso|