Maintenance of Certification (MOC) is an ongoing recertification system for specialty physicians — including dermatologists — that emphasizes continuous improvement and lifelong professional development to ensure that physicians deliver the highest-quality patient care throughout their careers. Under this system, all dermatology diplomates must pursue a 10-year cycle of continuing education, practice assessment, and self-improvement to retain certification and licensure to practice.
MOC helps physicians assess and build their competency in six core areas:
- Patient care
- Medical knowledge
- Practice-based learning
- Systems-based practice
- Interpersonal and communications skills
The AAD is here to help you
The AAD is committed to helping dermatologists understand, prepare and fulfill their Maintenance of Certification requirements. You can depend on the AAD to:
- Clarify the process. We give you clear information so you can understand what you need to do and when.
- Increase accessibility. We’ve created this one-stop Web page to connect you to all the resources you need to complete your MOC requirements.
- Keep you current. We help you stay up-to-date with announcements and other useful information about changes in MOC.
- Track your progress. We've created an educational portal that gives you a convenient way to manage your MOC activities using AAD resources and events.
It's important to note that the information provided here reflects the current situation and that the MOC landscape is ever changing. AAD will continue to update this site with new information and requirements so check back frequently.