Goals and objectives
The purpose of this module is to help medical students develop a clinical approach to the initial evaluation and treatment of patients with petechiae and purpura. After completing this module, the learner should be able to:
- Identify and describe the morphology of petechiae and purpura.
- Outline an initial diagnostic approach to petechiae or purpura.
- Recognize patterns of petechiae that are concerning for life-threatening conditions.
- Recognize palpable purpura as the hallmark lesion of leukocytoclastic vasculitis.
- Determine when a dermatology referral for petechiae or purpura is indicated.
Download the module