Goals and objectives
The purpose of this module is to help medical students develop a clinical approach to the evaluation and initial management of patients who present with bacterial infections. After completing this module, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the morphology of common cutaneous bacterial infections.
- Discuss the bacterial etiologies of cellulitis and erysipelas.
- Recognize clinical patterns and risk factors that suggest methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
- Recommend initial steps for the evaluation and treatment of common cutaneous bacterial infections.
- Recognize characteristic features of necrotizing fasciitis and the need for emergent treatment, including surgical intervention.
Download the module