The Academy is providing information for its members and the public to enable you to have candid conversations with your patients about treatments and procedures related to skin health and care that are not always necessary.
There are times when the items on the Choosing Wisely® list will be appropriate, and it’s up to physicians and patients to have conversations about doing the right thing, at the right time, for the right patient. In doing so, patients and physicians can be assured they are focusing on improving the quality of health care, avoiding harm, and eliminating waste.
Choosing Wisely Workgroup
The Academy’s Choosing Wisely® Workgroup identified areas to be include on the Academy’s list based on the greatest potential for overuse or misuse, a need for improvement, and availability of strong, evidence-based research as defined by the criteria listed below:
- Supported by available scientific evidence (e.g., existing AAD clinical guidelines and/or existing AAD appropriate use criteria).
- Strongest consensus inappropriate score from the AAD appropriate use criteria.
- Strong wording and/or level of evidence recommendations from the guidelines about discouraged practices.
- Greatest potential for improvement in outcomes for patients.
- Greatest potential for overuse/misuse by physicians.
The AAD Council on Science and Research and the AAD Board of Directors reviewed and approved the recommended list.
This Choosing Wisely® list was created by dermatologists who are members of the Academy’s Board of Directors; Council on Science and Research; Council on Government Affairs, Health Policy and Practice; Research Agenda Committee; Clinical Guidelines Committee; Access to Dermatology Care Committee; Patient Safety and Quality Committee; Resource-Based Relative Value Scale Committee; and the Workgroup on Innovative Payment Delivery.
Members of the Choosing Wisely® Workgroup include:
- Mary-Margaret Chren, MD
- Brett M. Coldiron, MD
- Henry W. Lim, MD
- Jack S. Resneck Jr., MD
- Kathryn Schwarzenberger, MD
- Alice J. Watson, MD
For more information about Choosing Wisely®, email Kevin Boyer, manager, clinical practice guideline and application, at email@example.com.