About Murray Gruber
In 1951, Murray Gruber developed the first crude coal tar shampoo on the market. Thus was born Dermik Laboratories, an innovative pharmaceutical company specializing in dermatologicals.
In 1972, Murray Gruber established the Lila and Murray Gruber Cancer Research Award to honor the memory of his first wife, as well as his dedication to dermatology. He entered into an agreement with the AAD to endow a permanent annual lectureship. These lectureships create a forum for presentations to the Academy by outstanding cancer research specialists.
In 1980, the AAD honored Murray Gruber by awarding him the Presidential Citation in recognition of his contribution to dermatology.
Murray Gruber, an honorary member of the AAD, died on Jan. 10, 2012 at the age of 94. He is survived by his wife, Helen, and three children, Barry Gruber, Daryl Kulok, and Sharon Draghi.
- The recipient may be a physician or non-physician scientist of national or international stature whose contributions in the field of cancer research have been outstanding in importance and distinction.
- The recipient should be a recognized expert whose contributions in the field of cancer research have been outstanding in practice and distinction.
- The award must be accepted in person and will be presented during the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology.
- The recipient must have excellent and proven communication skills.
Requests for nominations will be solicited from the Academy membership at large. The recipient will be selected by the Named Lectureship Task Force and presented to the Scientific Assembly Committee for approval at the planning meeting, which is held in the spring of the year prior to the presentation of the lecture.
The Academy will announce its final decision in June of the following year.
Named Lectureship Task Force Chair:
Scott M. Dinehart, MD, FAAD
David R. Bickers, MD, FAAD
Brett M. Coldiron, MD, FAAD
Lawrence F. Eichenfield, MD, FAAD
Steven R. Feldman, MD, PhD, FAAD
Lila and Murray Gruber Memorial Cancer Research Award and Lectureship Meeting name:
72nd Annual Meeting Date of meeting:
March 21-25, 2014 Location:
Denver, Colo. Questions:
Tracy A. Farhan, senior education specialist Phone:
(847) 240-1485 Fax:
(847) 330-1135 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Nominate/apply: Apply here