The Academy has established a program of educational activities that is fair, balanced, objective, evidence-based, and free of commercial bias. The AAD’s CME program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). These activities provide opportunities for delivering and improving the quality, safety, and cost-effectiveness of patient care and outcomes. The Academy encourages the development of professional lifelong learning values, individual self-assessment, self-directed learning repertoire, evaluation of performance in practice, and continuing professional development.
The Academy provides many resources to engage in self-directed learning. These resources include the following:
- Patient Safety in Dermatology: This online module was developed specifically for dermatologists. Learn ways to reduce common errors and improve patient safety in your practice.
- Performance Improvement CME (PI CME): This Web-based program was created to help dermatologists assess their performance and meet the requirements of Maintenance of Certification.
- DermClips: DermClips is a literature review newsletter that features evidence-based summaries of clinical content from a broad range of medical journals and provides relevant commentary and insights into how these articles relate to everyday clinical practice. Subscribers receive a print edition quarterly and can access the online edition.
- Dermoscopy: This program teaches basic and advanced principles of the dermoscopy technique. With more than 8,000 images and 400 cases, this double DVD set teaches a less invasive way on how to identify and diagnose skin lesions.
- Dialogues in Dermatology: This subscription-based learning tool keeps dermatologists informed about important topics in dermatology in convenient formats and quick, 20-minute segments. Download issues onto your MP3 player, review printable transcripts of the session, and view links to additional verified references for further self-study.
- JAAD CME quizzes: Continuing Medical Education (CME) quizzes for JAAD CME Article and Exam are available to Academy members.
- Dermatology Self-Assessment Program (DSAP): Review and enhance your knowledge with this comprehensive review of dermatology. DSAP (formerly MOCmd) aids in examination preparation, self-assessment and earning CME. It also can be used to fulfill Component 2 of Maintenance of Certification (MOC).
- National Library of Dermatologic Teaching Slides (NLDTS):
The most extensive digital slide collection within the field of dermatology with over 2,600 images, NLDTS 4.0 helps cut presentation preparation time. Add detailed clinical images to your professional presentations with a click of a button.
- The ABC's of Accredited CME: An online educational activity for planners and speakers that is sponsored by the American Academy of Dermatology and The France Foundation. It is designed for dermatologists and other individuals involved in planning and implementing accredited CME and is comprised of 10 slide sets with synchronized audio. Each slide set can viewed independently.