To prevent nummular dermatitis from returning once your skin clears, dermatologists recommend the following:
- Moisturize. Apply a moisturizer at least once a day. The best time is just after bathing while your skin is damp. A moisturizer helps trap water in the skin. A dermatologist can recommend products that will not irritate your skin.
- Avoid activities that bother your skin. Anything that dries, heats, or irritates your skin can cause a flare-up. To avoid flare-ups, dermatologists recommend using lukewarm water for showers and baths, getting out of the shower or bath after 20 minutes, and not sitting next to a fire or heater.
- Skip the soap. Using a mild, gentle cleanser to clean your skin instead of soap will help. Soap can dry the skin.
- Use a humidifier. When you heat or air-condition your home, use a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Dress for success. You are less likely to irriate your skin if you wear loose clothing. You also should not wear rough fabrics, such as wool, which can bother your skin.
Learn more about nummular dermatitis