Dermatologists offer the following tips to their patients who have alopecia areata:
- Hide hair loss. If you feel embarrassed by hair loss, there are things you can do to hide patchy hair loss:
- Style your hair to cover the bald spots.
- Wear a wig, cap, hat, or scarf. These do not interfere with hair re-growth.
- Some people shave the head.
- Use makeup to draw missing eyebrows.
- Join a support group. While the above tips can hide the hair loss, people often have trouble dealing with the emotional aspects of hair loss. Because the emotional aspects can be so difficult, you may want to join a support group. You'll find a link to NAAF, which offers support groups, below.
Children's Alopecia Project (CAP)
Website includes tips for coping.
National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF)
Offers message boards, support groups, and pen pal program.
Offers social networking with links to many groups.
Learn more about alopecia areata: